The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe I Make!
Updated: Oct 11
These Awin cookies are chewy, gluten free and absolutely delicious. I have been making these for years and have had countless asks for the recipe. Although I often find other recipes that look tempting for cookies, I keep coming back to this one, and it is such a hit! Please note if you are currently following the Thyroid Healing Diet, this recipe would be omitted in Phase 1 but could be possible in phase 2 once you understand your food sensitivities.
A few things to note to really perfect this recipe:
1. Cream the butter with a hand beater (or stand beater) for at least 2 minutes. Then add in the coconut sugar and cream some more. I have tried this cookie recipe and left out this step and they just didn't taste the same.
2. Unsalted butter is best. Yes, you can use salted butter, but I find the salt concentrations can vary in each butter batch and sometimes the cookies come out tasting a little too salty. If you do choose to use salted butter, omit the extra salt added to the recipe.
3. Use eggs that are at room temperature. As we buy our eggs directly from our farmer, our eggs always sit out on our counter. However if you have your eggs in the fridge, take them out about 30 minutes prior to making the recipe. I don't know why the room temp eggs make a difference but they do!
4. Coconut flakes (1/2 cup) are a great addition to this recipe.
5. Olive oil can work instead of butter. It's not the same, but it does the trick.
The BEST Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Makes 10-12 Cookies
1/2 cup unsalted grass fed organic butter room temperature
3/4 cup coconut sugar packed
1/2 tablespoon real vanilla extract
1 large egg room temperature
1 1/4 cup ground organic old fashioned oats (I grind them up in a blender)
1 1/2 cups organic old fashioned oats left whole
1/4 cup yuca (or cassava) starch
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet organic dark chocolate chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper
With a hand mixer, or stand mixer cream the butter until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Then add in the coconut sugar and beat again for approximately 1 minute. Beat in vanilla and egg.
Stir in ground oats, whole oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
Mix until well combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Using a spoon or your hands, make golf ball size balls with the dough and place them on the cookie sheet, then slightly flatten them down with your hand.
If desired, sprinkle a little extra sea salt on top of the cookies before baking.
Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 13-15 minutes.